Have you ever changed your mind about a movie? Aug 03

Second Looks

Have you every been wrong about a movie? You know, you’re flipping channels and happen across a movie you saw a few years ago that you thought sucked, only to be suddenly drawn in by it.

For me, that movie was Starship Troopers – Edward Neumeier‘s adaptation of Robert A. Heinlein’s military sci-fi classic book, directed by Paul Verhoeven.

When I first saw it, I thought it was campy and ridiculous. When I later saw it, I suddenly realized it was a brilliant satire and social commentary. How did I miss that the first time through?

Has that ever happened to you? What movie was it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Be Sociable, Share!
Category: Feedback, Movie Reviews
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
13 Responses
  1. Scott says:

Nope. I’m always right the first time.

Actually, dated films come to mind. I just saw The Gauntlet again and had to fast forward through the chase scenes where nothing was happening except mild pursuit (by today’s standards).

2. Trevor Mayes says:

Good call on the dated films. When I was very young, I saw a late night TV movie called KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK. I thought it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. Many years later, I again found it on TV late one night, in the time slot reserved for shake weight infomercials. The term “execrable” comes to mind. It was absolutely unwatchable.

I’ve never seen THE GAUNTLET. It’s not like me to miss an Eastwood/Locke pairing. But you have to admit, the poster is kickass.

3. Scott says:

I reveled in Kiss at that time, and any sighting of them was rare and treasured. Of course it was horrible, but perhaps not for a fourth grader in the 70s.

The Gauntlet poster is awesome, and there are some great moments, but get ready to fast forward.

4. pitchpatch says:

Heyo, Trevor.

Eyeball this if not already, for obvious reasons.

Back on topic: PREDATOR. I was OUTRAGED when I left the cinema, back in the day. I have no clear recollection why, but it must’ve been the gratuitous violence, like I sensed something really wrong with the movie, something rotten at its core.

Watched it on VHS a year or two later and… Meh. Dumb fun. No idea why I had that initial reaction. Just having a bad day? Anyway, it demonstrates that movies deserve at least two viewings with some time in between before you pass final judgement.

5. Trevor Mayes says:

Pitchpatch!

Oh yeah — I’m all over the new Dredd movie… for obvious reasons. It’s been interesting to read the fan feedback on the trailers, etc. Similar to my script, some people are dismissing it out of hand, based on the slow motion concept alone. I hope the movie is a big surprise hit. I know I’ll be there opening night.

PREDATOR – My reaction changed from: “This movie is awesome” to “This movie is still awesome.” :)

I’m not sure if all movies deserve multiple viewings. But certainly those where your viewpoint does not jibe with the consensus.

6. Scott says:

It will do well, and when the studios cry out for more slo-mo, you will be there.
    It’s a good thing.

7. Trevor Mayes says:

Thanks Scott. Here’s hopin’!

8. Carey Grayson says:

I had the same experience with ST as you – hated it in the theater, but loved it on video. I think it has to do with the way it was marketed for the big screen. The same was true for the Fifth Element. It was marketed to be the next Star Wars and I went in to the theater with that expectation. It was anything, but the next Star Wars. Later, like 5 years later, I saw it again and absolutely loved it.

9. Trevor Mayes says:

Hey Carey,

You must be a kindred spirit, because I also had the exact same response to THE FIFTH ELEMENT for its first and second viewing. Your explanation of why makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the note!

10. Mark F says:

Starship Troopers hit me like RoboCop in the theater. I loved it right away. It’s a part of the Paul Verhoeven Trilogy for me: RoboCop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers. Three great ripping movies with smart, sharp scripts.

11. Trevor Mayes says:

You’re right, Mark; that is the Verhoeven holy trinity! I wish there were more smart, daring movies like those these days.

12. Mitch says:

“Napoleon Dynamite”. I didn’t get it first go around. My kids and grandchildren loved it
    I revisted the movie with a better attitude. Too bad there wasn’t a candidate in this current election cycle named “Pedro” I think he would have gotten a lot of votes.

13. Trevor Mayes says:

Hey Mitch! I’ve only seen ND once — but I enjoyed it the first time through. I know of a number of people, however, who have similarly come to appreciate it upon a second viewing.